Chicken Pulao is in the hearts of every non vegetarian person living in the Indian Subcontinent. This dish gives an ecstatic feeling to the locals here and is a perfect dish to prepare with your MaDeliBox.
Chicken Pulao is basically a Rice dish with chicken having a variety of local spices with goldenish and caramelised onions in it. It is an easy and quick to make recipe with mouth watering taste. The blend of each spice comes in a unique way giving a delicious taste with an aroma. The bay leaves are specially added in the recipe to give a fragrance to it. This dish is usually served with “Raita” or a simple Salad.
The recipe is made in two steps :
- Making the stock
- Preparing the Pulao
- Making Raita
Note : You can use different sizes of chicken pieces according to your taste.
- Chicken - 1kg
- Coriander Seeds - 2 Tablespoons
- Black Pepper - 2 Tablespoons
- Garlic cloves - 8
- Bay leaves - 2
- Cinnamon - 1 small stick
- Black Cardamom - 2
- Green Cardamom - 5
- Chopped medium sized onions - 2
- Ghee - 4 Tablespoons
- Long grain wite rice - 3 cups
- Salt - 4 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds - 2 teaspoons
STEP 1 : Making the Stock
- In a pot or a pan, put chicken along with all the spices in amounts as mentioned above : coriander, black pepper, garlic cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon, black cardamom, green cardamom, and salt.
- Pour 6 and a half cups of water into the pan so that it just covers the chicken and spice mixture.
- Bring it to boil.
- After boiling, put it on low heat for 20 minutes so the Chicken cooks and it gets the flavour.
- Separate the Chicken and water by straining it and keeping it aside which makes our Stock.
Note : The leftover spices are not needed and can be thrown.
STEP 2 : Preparing the Pulao
- In a pan, add ghee. If ghee is unavailable, use olive oil.
- Add onions and cumin seeds to it and saute them until they turn light brown.
- Add chicken and 6 cups of stock to this.
- Bring the mixture to boil.
- After boiling, cover it with a lid for 10 minutes and put it on low heat so the rice soaks the water and becomes soft.
- Your Chicken Pulao is ready!
STEP 3 : Making Raita
Raita is a side dish and is optional. It takes 10 to 15 minutes to prepare.
- 1 small cucumber finely chopped.
- Quarter cup of chopped onions
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1-2 Tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons of chopped mint
- A pinch of cumin powder, red chilli powder and salt to taste.
- Whisk the yogurt, milk and spices in a bowl.
- Toss all the vegetables in it.
- Taste and adjust salt accordingly.
- Your raita is ready!
Making Chicken Pulao involves two simple and easy steps which are : Making the stock and preparing the Pulao. The Stock looks clear and is very nutritious. There are a lot of health benefits of stock from being good for the skin to nourishing the bones.
Then comes preparing the Pulao, one thing to note here is that the onions should not be over-fried, that means they should not turn dark brown. A light goldish color is good to go. This Pulao takes around 35 to 40 minutes to make and tastes delicious. It should be noted that the rice should not be overcooked in this step.
The third step is Making the Raita, which is extremely easy. This step is optional and depends on your taste. However, in the Indian subcontinent people love having Raita with Pulao. You can even pair Chicken Pulao with a simple salad of your own.
Original Recipe (if you can read it!)