Do you want a lunchbox recipe that is not only easy to carry and munch on but is also scrumptious, healthy and takes less time out of your hectic routine to cook? So, this recipe is for you! It is enriched with vitamins, fiber, proteins, and carbohydrates to fill your hungry tummy up and keep you energized all day long.
WHAT IS ALOO CHANA CHAAT?
Aloo Chana Chaat is a Pakistani chickpea salad or a desi version of the salad. It is a mix of chickpeas with vegetables such as tomatoes and onions, fresh coriander, green chilies, and lots of spices. Although it’s very light yet filling. You can do variations in the recipe according to your taste or liking. Some people like to add tamarind chutney or lemon juice as well to give it a sweet and sour taste! Most of the spices will be available in a Pakistani or an Indian store near you and the ethnic alley of most huge grocery stores.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
• Chickpeas (1.5 cups or 300 grams)
• 4 Boiled Potatoes
• 1 Diced Tomato
• 2 Diced Onions
• Chopped Green Chilies (2-3 or depends on how spicy you want it to be!)
• Salt (to taste)
• Red Chili Powder (to taste)
• White cumin seeds (1/2 teaspoon)
• Tamarind chutney
• Chaat Masala (1/2 teaspoon)
• Fresh finely chopped coriander
HOW TO PREPARE
1. First off, to boil chickpeas, you will need to soak chickpeas in the water overnight. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda in water. Next day, drain the water and boil chickpeas in a pan for 30 to 45 minutes. As the chickpeas become soft, you can use it for the chaat.
2. To boil potatoes, take water in a pan and boil until they become tender. They should neither be too mushy nor too hard. Remove the skin and cut into dices.
3. To make tamarind chutney(sauce), soak tamarind in a small bowl of water for 5 to 10 minutes then squeeze tamarind to get the juice out of it. Throw away the seeds. Add half teaspoon of brown sugar in the sauce. And, mix! Don’t make it too runny. Consistency should just be right!
4. Take a big bowl. Add the boiled chickpeas, diced boiled potatoes, diced tomatoes, diced onions, tamarind chutney, fresh finely chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chilies, and rub cumin seeds against the palm of your hands for a few seconds and toss them in the bowl. Include all spices: red chili powder, salt, and chaat masala.
5. Lastly, mix it well and serve it fresh or chilled, however you like!
If you’re a vegan, this recipe will leave you satisfied for hours as it is so nutritious and consists of loads of vegetables! If you’re on a diet, no worries, this aloo chana chaat won’t mess up your calorie count but will keep you on your feet all day long and trust me, it is appetizing too! If you’re just a busy person, this recipe is very easy and quick to cook, pack it in your lunchbox and you’re good to go! Well, this is for every foodie out there. Who wants to cook for long hours in their kitchen in this hot summer? Everyone wants to grab a quick bite. This aloo chana chaat will not only refresh you but will also enliven you. You can either have it as a snack or as a proper meal. Try this fresh, protein-packed recipe and have a happy eating time. Enjoy!